View Single Post
Old 01-05-2016, 12:24 PM   #13
Christopher R. Rice

Default Re: Attack Character Points?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineDaysDead View Post
Negated Advantage is worth +1% per point the advantage the worth, not +10%.
Yeah, I meant "Negated Disadvantage" - that was a mistake.

Quote:
Why not just multiply by 3.5?
Because Dice + Adds specifically says the breakpoints at 4 and 7?

Quote:
Why is this cheating? Can you back up that assertion?
You know, if you're GMing it you can happily say "Hey, you can buy this ability like any other." But if I were GMing it or writing it - my game designer instincts say "This is cheesy as hell and it's rules-breaking so if a player want's he needs to pay for it." I might even go higher than +300% depending on the campaign. Something like +500% or so wouldn't be far off. It's effectively a built in UB.

Quote:
Without "Cumulative +400%" repeated attacks won't be cumulative.
That's a fair point - so another +400% on Affliction.

Quote:
Modular Ability: Cosmic Power (Physical +100%; Social +50%) [25/level]

Is effectively 1CP/level in anything you want it to be.

Affliction (Advantage [Modular Ability: Cosmic Power (Physical +100%; Social +50%)] +250%; Cosmic: No Roll Required +100%; Cumulative +400%; Extended Duration, Truly Permanent, +300%; Malediction 1, +100%) [135/level]

This will count as a Beneficial Affliction so you can waive your right to resist, and Cosmic: No Roll Required means you don't need to roll.

So this will cumulatively grant you 1 level of Modular Ability: Cosmic Power (Physcial +100%; Social +50%) every time you use it.
Again, that's not what I would do. GURPS owing to its amazing flexibility and awesomeness allows you to go different directions. I again ask "So now you have to keep track of a separate pool? That's jsut weird. No thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseudonym View Post
No, as I linked before ( http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/LevelDrain ) there are tens of examples of games where enemies can permanently lower stats.
I searched around, and couldn't find anything.

Using some of the advice from this thread, I think I'd stat out the basic ability according to my personal preferences like this:

Statistics (+755%): Affliction 1 (Will; Based on different attribute, +20%; Cosmic, Immune to Dispel Magic, +50%; Extended Duration, Permanent, +150%; Malediction 2, +150%; Life Drain, 1d, +200%; Feature, Dice-adds, +0%; Cumulative, +400%; Sorcery, ‑15%) [86].

Which is technically different from what I asked for, I admit.

Something like this might be considered a curse that can only be dispelled in certain ways as appropriate (Like anything that removes curses). Matching this even more to my specific needs of being a melee ability that takes a large amount of time just amounts to it costing a few points less. Probably a 5% nuisance effect for requiring a grapple, and a 20% takes extra time for 4 seconds of interrupt-ability, and a 30% for melee range, taking it down to 80. I also just casually observed the truly permanent version would add an extra 100% making it worth exactly 10 more points in both cases.
I don't think you need the Immune to Dispel up there - being truly permanent means you can't get rid of it without similiar altering traits or buying it off.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote