View Single Post
Old 07-25-2011, 11:51 AM   #10
sjard
Stick in the Mud

Default Re: Converting Jump to Warp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pomphis View Post
There is also the question of FTL-combat. Are there FTL-beams ? Warp missiles ? How close can a ship under warp go to a planet ? For example, to drop out for a few seconds, launch missiles, and warp away ?

And related, FTL detection ? No FTL-radio = no FTL-detection ? In that case you could approach a target at 1.1 c and be undetectable.
I've toyed with the idea of something along the lines of a slow FTL Telegraph for communications and detection. You could spot something coming, and some idea of when and where it will get where it is going, but no identification. maybe have a max range as well, no more than 2-3 parsecs.

For the comms, you can send short messages at about the same as a drive-1 ship, but it can't be very long or complex. At best think Teletype messages.

As for the missile thing, I'd keep the 100D limit, and also keep the restrictions on no FTL on anything smaller than about 100 dtons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sn0wball View Post
An imporant question in my eyes would also be whether you go for game universe design or campaign design. I think you could run a perfectly well capaign without thinking all consequences through, if you just focus on what is important to the game at hand and what is not. Depending on the nature of the campaign, this might include overall military strategy, ancient history, large scale economy, which could be left open for now.
Mostly a campaign workup. I don't intend to create a long term universe for those areas the characters won't be going into.
MIB #1457

Last edited by sjard; 07-25-2011 at 12:37 PM.
sjard is offline   Reply With Quote