View Single Post
Old 07-25-2011, 11:47 AM   #9
sjard
Stick in the Mud

Default Re: Converting Jump to Warp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
'Traditional' Traveller obstacles like the Rim gap (which IIRC canonically halted Vilani advance towards the Rim 'at the gates' of Sol when Solomani were still sharpening pointy sticks with flints attached to them) or Rifts would essentially cease to exists.

So, it would have massive implications to the game universe. No longer could one defend have fronts in intersteller space - warp drive powered fleets could boost in FTL past the front lines and start the war by flattening the Capital. Commerce raiders and pirates could strike practically anywhere. Quite a bit of Traveller canon past would need to be rewritten - like the Vilani J2 & jumptapes (from GT:IW) advance to Sol - instead of proud Solomani homeworld it would have ended up been prospering Vilani colony - or colonization of Spinwards Marches (Corridor would no longer be any real obstacle). Instead of K'kree Vargr conflict being small scale due difficult passages through rifts it would turn into open battleground with vegetarians and carnivores (possibly). Aslan might spread like wildfire towards Spinwards Marches or Zhodani.

Probably missed something but i think that could work as a starter for the 'effects'...

Doable as usual but you need to consider the implications really, really carefully. I started doing roughly similar scheme and ended up actually ditching Traveller universe in search of something different.
I most likely won't go with the OTU as a basis, at least not without altering some timeframes. If I create the setting details from scratch, this isn't an issue. If I modify the Third Imperium setting, I could always handwave it that the warp drive version is a somewhat newer developement than the now mostly retired jump drive. That would keep everything stable up to only a few hundred years prior to game start.
MIB #1457
sjard is offline   Reply With Quote