View Single Post
Old 07-25-2011, 11:39 AM   #8
sjard
Stick in the Mud

Default Re: Converting Jump to Warp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
I wouldn't start with Traveller rules to play a Star Trek game. The two are pretty different in most base assumptions and background.
I started this one because if I had not yet decided if I would go Trek or Traveller. If Trek, I probably won't use the Traveller rules as I have a trek system. This is purely on making changes to a Traveller game. Just asking for the implications of, all else the same (as far as assumptions go, if not specifics) how it would change things.

The main things I can see, using the jump fuel as warp fuel, is that for lower ratings, small rifts won't be an issue. Larger ones still will. As I mentioned, the Beowulf/Type-A free trader with a drive-1 rating could only go for five weeks (and five parsecs) before needing to refuel. This gives it effectively a very slow Jump-5 for distance on a single tank.

The speed increase, however, comes in when looking at subsector map, and that five parsec gap you just took five weeks crossing would have taken you 14 weeks plus time for refueling along the J-1 route.
MIB #1457
sjard is offline   Reply With Quote