View Single Post
Old 01-05-2017, 02:03 PM   #9
Icelander

Default Re: [Ritual Path Magic or Path/Book] Life-sustaining warmth ritual

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK View Post
For P/B, Path of Health. For RPM, either Path of Body or Path of Energy. If she lacks the core skill (for either system), she should be able to spend a point on it; if she has that core skill, she should be able to spend a point on the Path skill. (Or if she lacks the core skill you can be nice and let her spend a point on both; really, that won't break anything.)
Fair enough. And thanks for weighing in with your deep magickal lore.

Quote:
It's an art, not a science, much like designing new standard magic spells. Sorry!
Which is a pity, as in all other ways, the Path/Book system has always provided the exact feel I want in a secret magic campaign. But I've always needed more rituals than are provided in Thaumatology and not really had a good way to make them.

Quote:
Spell effect: Lesser Strengthen Body, Lesser Restore Body, or Lesser Strengthen Energy (choose one).
I'd probably aldo elect to have Joe Greybear's astral assistence with the ritual count as the effect of his Path of Crossroads rather than acting counter to the intent to aid by making the ritual harder to cast by adding another Path. The mushrooms and Estevez's Autotrance Perk allow her to accept help with the ritual from a magician not present in body.

As for the choice of Path, I'd rather have the PC able to perform rituals related to good health than fireballs, so Body. And I guess it's a Restore effect, as even TL8 medicine couldn't otherwise save Ms. Danzig's extremities from necrosis or her life, really.

Ideally, I'd like the PC to have Path of Health even if I go with RPM. The Paths can be changed according to setting. Are you aware of any RPM system or arrangement of Paths which makes life-giving, warming, healing and purifying rituals an entirely different Path from cold, life-stealing, diseased and harming rituals?

Quote:
Spell modifiers: Since you're only trying to keep her alive, I'd go with just Duration and Subject Weight. It's tempting to suggest Altered Traits, Temperature Tolerance, but really we're past that point where that would have made a difference.
Technically, by TL8 medical assumptions, Ms. Danzig's hypothermia was far enough advanced that nothing natural could have brought her out of the coma or prevented her eventual death. The PCs were aided in their ritual by the fact that none of them knew that and that there were no witnesses.

While they were performing the ritual, the PCs had barred the doors to the wind (which was rapidly dying down anyway), turned on several electric heaters and lit some old belly stoves. They also swaddled Ms. Danzig in dry, warm towels, and bath robes while surrounding her with their own warm bodies, under a protective shield of outer clothing.

Once Ms. Danzig's temperature is magically restored to a survivable level (by reducing the PCs's temperatures), she'll survive non-magically and they'll move her some 100 yards to a well-heated luxury cabin which has a fine sauna and hot tub, among other luxuries. So it's an instant spell effect, acting to correct a mortal condition.