View Single Post
Old 01-30-2014, 01:05 PM   #6
Genesis

Default Re: more on Tapestry: ritual magic paths

Is the Habitation path that the Nixies practice, then (by analogy to the shared principles of of Dwarven and Elven Making), similar to the Dwarf Path of Hearth?

Is there magical "science" in this world? By which I mean, when you talk about the shared 'root' of the Dwarven and Elven Paths of Making, do the practitioners of these paths recognize them as being similar (i.e. convergent answers to shared needs), or related (i.e. divergent from a common root)? Is there a practice of Thaumatology with which one might relate the disparate rituals of various Paths? I ask because, in your previous posts on this setting, it's seemed like verisimilitude is important to you - this is a potential breakpoint between 'fantasy-like' settings (where things are the way they are for narrative reasons) and 'history-like' settings (where things are the way they are for plausible in-setting reasons, as an outgrowth of a few underlying assumptions).

Path of Form = shapeshifting?

In general, how much overlap is there between paths that focus on similar things - between various paths of Herbs, Making, Habitation/Hearth and Form as practiced by different races? If elves and dwarves exclusively apply their paths of Making to different materials, do they share any spells/effects at all? Are there parallels in the Path structure?

What about paths that may have incidental overlap, but are focused quite differently: like the Path of Cunning vs. Hunt, War, Letters, or Trade, any one of the latter of which have (in human mythology/history, anyway) been variously associated with 'cunning'?

Edit to add: How big are the paths, total? How generic/flexible?
Genesis is offline   Reply With Quote