Thread: Magic(k)
View Single Post
Old 05-09-2020, 09:38 PM   #1
gurpsgamer

Default Magic(k)

I am a long time gamer. I love GURPS, 4th edition not so much. That said I am going to explain a Magic house rule that mixes both 3rd and 4th.
MTA was a supplement from Whit Wolf with a totally different magic(k) system that was powerful and you did not need to have a long list of spells. I have come up with a modified version for this system to put into any magic setting.
There is no Paradox, Arete, Delirium and you do not have to have a 2nd level in Prime to cast pattern Magic(k). You don't even need Prime to cast at all. All Spears are 10 points per level. You must have a skill of 15 or higher to cast without a Foci. When you cast and fail you collect the amount that you failed by and you roll on the Calamity chart (Page. 77-78) Thaumatology forth edition. Add what you failed by to your role to see what you have to deal with. Or you can save the points (Up to your Will level) and do it then. Or you can choose to Burn them off by having the GM give you a Calamity that fits what you have earned.
To add to a game that is more Fantasy. You can break down the Mage into three different kinds of Mages.
The Sorcerer: They are a natural and need no training only practice.
The Wizard: They learn by rote. Filling there grimoire with spells they have created studying the Nine Spheres and how they work. They have a 20% limitation from this, and have a -3 to learn a new rote. They are under the tutelage of masters in a school of some kind or an individual master.
Alchemist: They work with Sloid, Liquid, and Gas. Any combination of the three. The alchemist always learns from a master and can only make there Elixirs. This is a 40% limitation.
I know some of you are not a fan of big change, and I am not going to apologize for this. I will be back with world ideas as well.
gurpsgamer
gurpsgamer is offline   Reply With Quote