View Single Post
Old 08-12-2019, 09:46 AM   #27
JazzJedi

Default Re: A Question of Strength.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
Extra Effort can be quite problematic for predicting performance. Professional athletes (and even serious amateurs) will usually not risk career-ending injuries and will almost always perform below their maximum capabilities. After all, winning one record or one event is usually not worthwhile if you destroy your chances at future events.

I generally figure that a conservative and safe estimate of Extra Effort (and related phenomena) would assume a roll of '12', so I calculate performance based on a result of '12' without forcing a roll as long as the individual has the appropriate trait at 16+. For example, a character with Lifting-20 could increase their BL by 40% without a roll or by 80% without a roll by spending 1 FP. It allows people with exceptional skill to perform exceptionally without unnecessary variability or risk.
My wife is ranked 3rd in the world in Olympic lifting, and I can tell you that on the podium, athletes will push it as far as they can, especially on their last lifts, striving to achieve a personal record. If you have good lifting technique, the risk of injury is not that high. Poor technique and poor body condition (low HT) is a much higher predictor of injury than the amount of weight lifted. You can throw your back or neck out putting on your seatbelt, if you are in bad condition. If you are in good condition and have good technique, you can try to lift your max capacity over and over without much risk - but usually without much success after the third attempt in the same day...

The problem with extra effort, is that it is cinematic. An easy solution is to cap the benefit from mundane extra effort at 10%. The difference between an elite athlete's everyday training ability and their absolute maximum capacity is 10% (at the most), at least as far as weightlifting is concerned.
JazzJedi is offline   Reply With Quote