View Single Post
Old 08-11-2019, 12:38 PM   #20
Skarg

Default Re: A Question of Strength.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanW View Post
I would take that as a sign that that combination of options is not realistic. +30% is the absolute limit of what might be considered realistic. That adding +30% to something that already has +30% breaks suspension isn't that shocking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
Sprinting is a bit odd in GURPS. Even a realistic character with DX 10 and HT 10 can purchase Basic Speed 7.00 and Basic Move 10 for only 55 CP. The individual is capable of sprinting at 12 yards per second, meaning that they can run a 100-meter in 9.2 seconds or run a mile in less than two and a half minutes.
4e added the ability to just "buy" Speed and Move.

The movement system was created when Move was DX + HT / 4, and DX and HT got more expensive the more you got.

So Move 10 probably meant something like DX 16 HT 16 (Speed 8.0) plus Running 16, which before 4e's reductions to DX and HT and skill costs would cost 164 for the attributes as a starting character (more to build up to during play from lower stats). 150 points in 3e is "full-fledged hero" and 200 is "truly outstanding".

Hmm, maybe more likely DX 13 HT 16 (Speed 7.25) with Running +6 (48 points) - still 138 points.

Part of why I prefer pre-4e costs for things is that I like it to be harder and more expensive to become super-human. I don't want an attempt at "balance" as much as I want representations of where the normal human limits are, etc.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote