View Single Post
Old 03-26-2016, 06:19 PM   #109
Icelander

Default Re: 1980s American Cars, Guns, Gadgets and Consumer Goods [Atmosphere, look, minutiae

Quote:
Originally Posted by adm View Post
One source of guns to consider would be the Civilian Marksmanship Program. This is a government program that sell older service weapons to civilians, WW I through WW II firearms are commonly what they sell. The M1917 Enfield, M1903/M1903A3, and the M1 Garand, all in .30-06, being the common weapons sold below cost. They were fairly common hunting weapons from the 1950's through the 1980's and are still often seen, I have M1903/M1903A3. Someone will have these, and they would make ideal loaner guns.
In GURPS $, which I reckon is around 2004 $ values, how cheap would these guns be?

When Clayborn Allen was 16-18, in 1953-1955, he had to save his wages from a part-time job at his father's sawmill to be able to afford a deer rifle. I had figured that he saved for a nice Winchester Model 70, but if he could have had a rifle with similar functionality at less than half price, I think he would have jumped at it.

Also, in the 1950s, could underage boys just buy a hunting rifle? That is, should Clayborn Allen's first deer rifle be bought at 18, when he became a voter, or can he have saved up and bought a rifle at sometime between 12-16?

I haven't found yet how the laws on hunting licences for juniors worked in Maine in the 1950s. I don't think that any laws would precisely forbid him from buying rifles in the 50s (yay, FREEDOM!) and, indeed, had imagined that he bought a .22 in that period, but a local proprietor of a general store might not be in favour of a boy buying a rifle obviously meant for hunting deer if it were against the law for him to go hunting.

Last edited by Icelander; 03-26-2016 at 06:37 PM.
Icelander is offline   Reply With Quote