View Single Post
Old 05-23-2018, 05:15 PM   #46
kirbwarrior

Default Re: Large variance of SMs together

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maz View Post
But they would still be indispensable for any large construction projects. Like a church or castle or city fortifications. And also for mining/harvesting and transporting building materials.
Honestly, any modern day job that requires large machinery I could easily see Titans doing; transportation (like buses but also moving of goods), construction, landscaping (such as beating down land for roads, tearing down cliffs, creating river ways, etc), farming, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
They're enough of the mass of the inhabitants that having another titan arrive, or leave, may make a significant difference to the city's food supply. You'll need serious fortifications to keep toddler-age titans enclosed and thus prevent them from wrecking smaller races' dwellings. And rowdy teenager titans are a serious menace.
Titan ratios would definitely determine quite a few things. Food supplies might even be largely controlled by Titans, considering the the entire non-Titan populace would be 1/5 the food (or less).

That does make me wonder about children; I'm sure the buildings at least the Titans live in would have significant fortification, but bringing them into the city would definitely have to be done with care.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dataweaver View Post
Coming in late; so some of this may already be covered. Overall, I see this city operating on a “rule of three” principle, as illustrated below:

In terms of jobs, fairies are likely to be able to find work doing craftwork that larger creatures would find intricate, such as precision clockwork. Such precision engineering could also account for a surprisingly high TL for the larger races, as it's in part what allows for mass production: if component parts come in essentially uniform sizes, then they're interchangable and a given worker can concentrate on creating one part over and over instead of having to build each device piece by piece.

Where area is most important, SM +3 scaling means ten times the area — though I can't think of any cases off the top of my head where area is the most important factor. Where mass or volume is the most important factor, I'd go with a 32-to-1 ratio, making the exchange rate between fairies and humans (or between humans and titans) 1024 to 1.
(cutting parts out to address these)

The rule of three actually works both nicely and simply. It even takes into account of half-races well. Overall I like the ideas

This makes me think of Minsh Cap, where the tiny folk work on detail work that humans might not be able to do or even really see. Faeries can probably do incredible fine work, especially if they had equivalent tools to help them out on their scale.

Area i'm not certain, but mass would matter with transportation, public baths, rest stops, anything where size but not necessarily height would come up.

How much of an impact on money does size affect? Would rent (or buying homes) be exponentially bigger for each SM up? Would food become an increasingly bigger amount of income? B265 talks about Cost of Living, B 516 talks about Monthly Pay, would it be possible to start there or would i have to completely approach things for different sizes anew?
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote