View Single Post
Old 05-16-2018, 07:17 PM   #27
kirbwarrior

Default Re: Large variance of SMs together

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalin View Post
It could be something like when the original council of nine formed, they created a pact that the city would be built for all. Maybe it only applies to civic buildings, but that set the tone for the larger culture. There should be some cool history about why the nine races chose to (or were forced to) form an alliance back in the beginning.
This is a cool idea for me to think on. It lines up with some of the history I know, since this is the only settlement even capable of such a feat. Any other
major city will be much smaller, often without the capability of mixing too many sizes together, and not even being called a city, due to how scary and crazy the wilds are. The nine long ago probably did this out of necessity, thinking it was the only way to survive, and everyone working together found a way to have the equivalent of a modern major city in nomadic times.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armin View Post
With extensive magic, either every coin is a magic item that sizes itself, or perhaps everyone uses counter checks written on resizing paper.
There are a few solutions I had about money, but a fellow worldbuilder I know had something that makes sense for this; "Money" is some sort of detail inherit to the person. For instance, lets say you want to buy a loaf of bread. You go up to the merchant, make the exchange, then your money number goes down and the merchant goes up by 1. It would be like a money card but even more extreme; how much money you have would be etched onto or be a part of who you are.

The coin size-changing is a cool idea, with money automatically changing size to whoever is carrying it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollonian View Post
Can you give some details on the titans? As the extreme example on the large end, they're going to shape much of the city with their needs. For example: how much do they weigh, on average? How much do they eat, if they eat? How much do they excrete? Ent-like titans are going to be quite different from scaled-up humanoids, sapient golems, or sky whales.
Right now, I have two ideas;
Humans (with some small other details, I know they have a rough blue skin) but scaled up exactly to ten times height (which is an extreme thousand times bulk, if I'm cubing correctly). This would give them even more strength than Gurps would suggest, since I imagine them able to do things like carry another titan.
As above, but "amphibious" with a tentacle, squid or octopus lower body. However, I'm not certain I like this idea and it would further fan out the width of the largest race, making it even more difficult for them to be here.

I do like the "cartoon logic" approach. I also am pretty sure there won't be a problem with "drunk giants" because I'm pretty I won't have alcohol exist.

I was worried a bit about ratios. I could work backwards, figuring out how many titans exist, then using their combined weight divided among each race to figure out how many of each live together. That would give a huge amount of faeries compared to the other races, though.
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote