Thread: fantasy races
View Single Post
Old 05-27-2009, 08:14 AM   #7
Landwalker

Default Re: fantasy races

Monte Cook's Arcana Evolved did what I thought was a reasonably good job of populating a fantastic world with non-standard races. There were no dwarves, or elves (depending on your view of the Alabastar, who weren't really a PC race anyway), or the like. Instead you had Giants (who weren't that big unless you started taking a lot of "racial levels"), Sibeccai (a jackal-like race that had been "raised" to sentience and humanoid form by the Giants), Litorians (feline humanoids), several variations on Faen (which were generally very short, slight humanoids), Verrik (a race that looked human with some major skin and hair coloration differences and a high degree of contemplativeness and supernatural attunement), and the Mojh (a genderless, sterile, pseudo-draconic humanoid race that is the result of usually-voluntary magically transformative modifications conducted by humans).

All in all, it was quite a different look at "Fantasy Races" from what I had been used to from my D&D-centric early days. Admittedly, I was never a huge fan of Arcana Evolved's races as I just have a hard time getting fired up about "bestial humanoid" races like "Cat-people" and the like.

The Iron Kingdoms setting also does some interesting stuff with races, and something that on the whole I found more appealing. In addition to a lot of distinct human ethnicities, it took a different approach to the place of elves in the world, and also introduced some interesting (and downright fun) other player races in lieu of halflings, gnomes, half-orcs, and such. Gobbers and Bogrin were two variations on goblinoid PC-races -- gobbers were big-time mechanical and alchemical tinkerers and builders, and many (perhaps most) of them live among humans with no problems at all; Bogrin were their more "gobliny" cousins who had a greater predilection towards violence, but who could sometimes nevertheless live in human settlements (usually those that tended to be on the rough side to begin with). Trollkin are smaller (slightly larger than humans), much smarter, and much more "civilized" relatives of trolls and have an almost Scottish Highland flavor about them, while Ogrun are large, meaty folk with an incredibly strong connection to concepts of loyalty and fealty. All in all, a very interesting collection of PC races, but in my opinion the greatest feature of the Iron Kingdom's handling of fantasy races is to have so many (twelve to thirteen) discrete human ethnicities that have their own "racial templates". It makes it a very... "realistic" setting (despite there being nothing non-fantastical about it).

As far as different takes on "standard fantasy races" goes, I think the best is the Iosans and Nyss (the two elven races) in Iron Kingdoms. The elves accidentally killed almost their entire pantheon, and now the only known surviving deity is comatose and in failing health while newborn elves have started popping out without souls. Naturally, the Iosans blame the rise of human magic over the last few centuries as the polluting source that is driving their race and their sole goddess closer to the end, and some particularly zealous fanatics ("The Retribution of Scyrah") have taken to hunting through the human kingdoms, killing any human arcanist they encounter.

I have no doubt that there is always room for the conception of new, unique races. Unfortunately, my creativity is pathetic, so there won't likely be any coming from my neck of the woods. However, I'm sure that someone of sufficient imaginative ability could come up with something -- maybe a world with races based on the animals of the Chinese Zodiac, which already have characteristics attributed to them that could probably be easily represented in GURPS terms.

Cheers.
Landwalker is offline   Reply With Quote