View Single Post
Old 06-28-2021, 11:04 PM   #7
Pursuivant

Default Re: Sensible negotiations

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeiLin View Post
I know that haggling cultures in particular are prone to making outrageous offers, but is there an easy way around this? If the offer is outrageously large, then shouldn't the response be outrageously small? I could, of course, simply fiat the whole encounter an declare that "the merchant is unwilling to do business with you", but are there other options of tweaking the rules and still have a smooth bargaining process?
The GM can always rule that outrageously low offers trigger an additional reaction roll from the merchant at -1 per [$ increment] below the fair price. That might result in the merchant refusing to do business with the character or otherwise altering their Reaction. ("Offer me just a quarter of what my goods are worth? I'll show her! The city watch might be very interested to know that Ayeesha the Rogue just bought 10 barrels of flammable oil and 100 yards of slow match.")

If a merchant accepts an outrageously low offer there should be strings attached. For example, the item might have been sold by a disgruntled employee to spite their boss, triggering attempts by the item's rightful owner to recover it. Or, the item is actually defective, radioactive, stolen, or otherwise "too hot to handle."

Alternately, since haggling depends on personal relations and reciprocity, the sale might come with additional non-financial obligations. "I'll give you a great deal this time, but you owe me one." or "I'll give you a great deal, but I want you to do me a favor."

If a NPC merchant accepts an outrageously low offer due to the PC's reaction bonuses, that implies that the merchant gets some non-financial benefit from the sale. Expect to see advertising mentioning the character's name ("Come to Tawfeek's Armoury, where Raslan the Mighty buys his swords!") and/or rumors which aid the merchant's business ("I heard that Tawfeek is under Raslan the Mighty's personal protection. Let's not shake him down for protection money this month.").

Characters might also have to put up with a certain amount of fanboy/creep behavior on the part of the merchant and their staff, posing for pictures, signing autographs, and other types of "fan service." This might take extra time or bring extra attention if the character wishes to get the full discount. ("Sorry I'm late. I got a fantastic price on the ceremonial candles you wanted, but it took me two hours before the chandler stopped asking me questions about the time we were marooned on the Isle of Dread.")
Pursuivant is offline   Reply With Quote