View Single Post
Old 04-01-2021, 08:25 AM   #13
MAKIMAKI

Default Re: Greetings from China in the 21st century

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadekeep View Post
Welcome! Regarding science fiction gaming, I'm curious if some of the great Soviet-era science fiction works are in print in China and if they had an influence on the genre there. I'm thinking of authors like Stanislaw Lem and the Strugatsky brothers Arkady & Boris.
A lot of science fiction in the Soviet Union has a great influence on the older generation of readers in China, while the new generation of young people are keen on Western or Japanese science fiction, but local thinking science fiction is increasingly accumulating fans.

As for whether the Soviet science fiction had an impact on domestic writers, I don't think it had an impact on the Chinese science fiction writers who grew up after the 1970s.

The first golden age of science fiction in China began in the 1980s when the Cultural Revolution ended. These writers were influenced by German, Japanese, British and American writers, but they had a strong brand of the times in narrative. Many stories were born out of small manuscripts during the cultural revolution. After the 1990s, Soviet Science fiction reappeared in the domestic market, but obviously its influence was not as great as that of the same period in Europe and the United States.

Stanislaw LEM's science fiction is not a must read in the mainstream society of China, but his works are more appreciated in the industry than Liu Cixin, the author of trisomy.

Avatar, the film of the strugatsky brothers, was a box office success in China when it was premiered in 2009, and the re released version in 2021 is still a more popular science fiction film in China. However, their literary works are not necessarily read or in mainstream literature.

Last edited by MAKIMAKI; 04-01-2021 at 09:14 AM.
MAKIMAKI is offline   Reply With Quote