View Single Post
Old 08-14-2018, 01:45 PM   #46
whswhs

Default Re: Are Powers Overpriced?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
High TL is a pretty standard advantage in supers campaign, especially among aliens, gadgeteers, etc. After all, what is Black Panther than a superhero who has access to TL11^ technology (I think that W'kanda would be considered a TL11^ enclave in a TL8 world)? Of course, the price tag of higher TL gear increases with every TL different, so it might be better to design Black Panther's equipment as gadgets rather than Signature Gear.
I don't think Signature Gear is meant to let you acquire gear that is not available on any sort of market, but can only be acquired by having it invented by some unique genius with Gadgeteer skill—not even if you use the gadgeteering rules to assign it a cost. In my campaigns I limit Signature Gear to stuff that you can have by having enough money to buy it from the manuacturer, or hire a mundane business to construct it. (I would allow SG for enchanted items in a world that had professional enchanters for hire in every large town, right down the street from the armorer and the jeweler, but not in a world where reclusive figures carried out secret rituals to produce rare one-time items.)

TL11^ seems over the top. I would accept Wakanda being TL9, I think, as the people in the streets seem to live at a higher TL than present-day Americans. But I don't think you can say that the ^ stuff is a specific TL, other than on the basis of what the non-^ stuff looks like. And the unique stuff invented by Shuri is the product of gadgeteering rolls by a genius inventor, much like Tony Stark's armor or Henry Pym's size change technology. By definition, such items are not widespread enough in a given society to be taken into account in defining that society's TL.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote