View Single Post
Old 05-02-2018, 02:44 PM   #14
Ottriman

Default Re: Confused about shapeshifting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
This argument seems to be reaching for it to me.

Let's assume you max out the limitation on your alternate form to -80%, giving it a cost of 3 points. Let's say the racial template for your alternate form costs a net 997 points. That costs a total of 1,000 points which, in a 500-1,000 point campaign maxes out your point costs.

If you presented me as GM with that build, I'd send you back for a re-think. Your other form evidently has base attributes, advantages, disadvantages and skills netting 0 points. At the least, I'd expect you to come back with a revised base character that makes use of the fact that it can have up to 997 points in abilities as well, which should either carry over or vanish when the alternate form is adopted. If you came back with your original build, I'd want you to drop the alternate form's abilities by at least 15 points (give or take) and write up at least one more alternate form with less restrictive limitations and making use of the ability to make that alternate form up to 997 points at no extra charge. If you still came back with your original build, I'd send you off for another re-think, this time about whether you really want to take part in a 500-1,000 point campaign.
?

Of course I wouldn't use a build like this in a 500-1000 point game, I know about balancing a character. I was using this as an illustration (and have seen the way to make things work out by limiting everything, thank you friends).

Obviously I'd only actually use something like this in the 2000+ points games I sometimes run.
Ottriman is offline   Reply With Quote