View Single Post
Old 12-09-2022, 03:13 PM   #255
Refplace

Default Re: GURPS Powers: Enhanced Senses

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomenessofme1 View Post
Huh? Hypersensory is by definition limited to a specific sense. Or a specific list of them, if that fits the fluff better. I also don't think it explicitly requires the advantage to be pseudo-mundane, it just says that it depends on mundane senses to work.
No, its using other senses to boost sensory input.
First line on Enhanced Powers p. 8 it is an "integration".
Powers p. 46 under Dark Vision it talks about building up a mental picture of surroundings using multiple senses.

So Sense-Based, Reversed (Power-Ups 8: Limitations, p. 17 means it requires a specific sense to work (or more than one) based on Sense-Based p. B109.

Sense-Based makes it work through the targets senses (like a blinding light or smell based attack).
Sense-Based, Reversed means the user has to sense the target with a specific sense.
Both of the above are described as Penetration modifiers and usually applied to attacks. Powers does describe it working on things like Detect which is normally an new and independent sense. But if your Detect requires you to say see something than it is blocked by things that block vision - hence its a limitation.

Hypersensory is about integrating multiple senses to get an affect such as Dark Vision (I think this is where it first appeared) or Psychometry, Intuition, etc where you get more out of existing sensory input than others. Or compensating for a blocked sense by using other senses, such as with Dark Vision.
Hypersensory is good for representing Sherlock Holmes, possibly Columbo, etc.

There will be cases where either way will work but each has thier own niche even if there can be some overlap.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote