View Single Post
Old 02-08-2021, 01:29 PM   #32
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert
(If you have to ask . . .)

Default Re: How should i run monsters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zionspelunker View Post
Thanks for all the tips. Is there any good way to know what might be a good fight for my players or what is likely to kill them with ease?
My basic method is to look at the DR, IT:DR (Injury Tolerance: Damage Reduction) and HP the party has. I then look at the party's active defenses and make note of them.

It takes some experience (ChaosCoyote can't roll less than a 14 unless it's dramatically appropriate or hilarious), but I aim for a minor enemy to be able to, on an average hit, do about 1/5 to 1/4 of their HP.

Major foes should be able to inflict between 1/3 and 2/3 HP damage on a hit.

Bosses should be able to KO a PC (inflict full HP loss) on a successful hit.

All of these successful hits are related to the characters that are most likely to be on the front line. Characters with lower defenses should be aware of this and should be managing their characters appropriately.

For our Kingdom Hearts game, shadows do 1d-1 cutting, but the party doesn't have any DR or IT:DR yet (I'm also changing IT:DR a bit for this game, it's an HP multiplier, to reduce book keeping).

The party has really good defenses, so long as they're using their chosen items (Ruby's shield gives her a Cosmic block of 12, Kay's sword gives her a Cosmic parry of 11, Karyl's wand gives her a Cosmic parry of 10). So, other than Kay (who is ChaosCoyote's character), the party has a good chance of avoiding damage.

During the first fight, to show the threat of the shadows, the party only got hit once with Kay taking a total of three points of injury.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnome View Post
I'm not saying I'm happy with this state of affairs. I wish there was a cleaner way to have "immune to fire damage" as an ability that costs less than hundreds of points. But clearly the publishers have declared DR the canonical method.
The way I usually do it is base it on Insubstantial. I just call it Insubstantial (Only vs Damage [-10%], Affects Substantial, Limited Defense [from DR]). So, with Multiplicative Modifiers, invulnerability to fire would be 80 points. Since it's a GM-call to allow the ability, I don't require characters to take Affects Substantial on their other abilities since it's just a place-holder for an invulnerability.
Mark Skarr is offline   Reply With Quote