View Single Post
Old 05-16-2007, 12:54 PM   #56
Phantasm

Default Re: [Supers] GURPS Unofficial Handbook to the Marvel Universe, Reboot Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not another shrubbery
Just as a point of possible interest: I don't think there's a real value to the designing of characters with the intent that their point value be a round number. I have been known to do the same thing (in my write-ups on the old GoO boards), but I try to stay away from it now, preferring to just assign values that feel right and let the points fall where they may. The tendency to tighten up the design while going back over it in an effort to smooth out the point total can be duplicated with an ordinary review process. JMO... certainly, the aesthetic appeal of round numbers might be reason enough for some.
For some reason, I find myself drifting towards round numbers a lot more lately. I don't normally flip out if it doesn't round completely, but I've found myself thinking "okay, I can drop another point in this skill, remove two from that skill, and it won't affect much in the long run."

Call it a personal Quirk. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not another shrubbery
The Official Handbook is not in my library anymore, and my memory of it is quite vague. I notice that you don't accord Warren many of the advantages normally associated with Flight (particularly at high altitude) such as: Acute and/or Telescopic Vision, Doesn't Breathe, Nictating Membrane, Temperature Tolerance, and Vacuum Support. I imagine at least some of those were left off intentionally... Were they all?
Vacuum Support and Doesn't Breathe were intentionally left off. Nictitating Membrane wasn't mentioned in the Handbook I was working off of (at least, not for Angel; the Archangel entry in Update '89 mentioned it, but I assumed it was an add-on by Apocalypse's restructuring), so I admit to never thinking about it for Angel. The acute and/or telescopic vision I admit I did thnk about, but they weren't mentioned in the Handbook and I couldn't remember anything about him having better-than-average eyesight. Temperature Tolerance never entered my brain.

If I was to go over him again, I might add in Temperature Tolerance for the higher altitudes and some acute/telescopic vision. (Even so, stadium binoculars aren't uncommon, and he's not exactly poor.)

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote