View Single Post
Old 11-17-2012, 01:40 PM   #550
naloth

Default Re: [Supers] GURPS Unofficial Handbook to the Marvel Universe, Reboot Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by B9anders View Post
Which is why I wouldn't use radar, but Extra-sensory awareness, Imaging Radar or Para-Radar. Probably with "no intercept"(?). I know DD's sense is called "radar sense", but it doesn't function the same way radar does in GURPS.
Those subsets of Radar function just like radar except that Imaging Radar gives you a finer detail at the cost of range and Para-Radar is like Imaging Radar but works everywhere and is more difficult to intercept.

Quote:
When I say 'jacked up' I meat suitably enhanced that his TK doesn't have these vulnerablities, whether with compartmentalized mind or independent enhancements on it.
By the time you spend a hundred point or more on enhancements and advantages to negate a -50 point disadvantage, you haven't really gained much. The problem specifically with Scanning Sense and Blind costing less than Vision (as a package deal), ignoring the biggest drawbacks of being Blind, ending up with an arguably superior sense, and it ending up costing a bit less.

Quote:
Shooting guns, RAW, is not at all disadvantaged by using TK. Actually, Talent makes it potentially more advantageous. Although I think it'd be fair to rule that you can't aim unless you position the weapon in line if your sight to actually take aim.
Presuming you have enough TK to properly wield the weapon, it's still fired as though you're holding it. Any DX purchased with NFM, obviously won't help here (as the limitation means that that DX doesn't help with fine motor control/device manipulation). Assuming, of course, that you have a Guns skill at all (hard to learn without manipulators). You'll likely also have additional range penalties (you to the gun, gun to the target) since it's awkward trying to fire a gun when you're not on one end of it. Using the sights would be impossible without senses you could put at the end of the sights. Aiming is also questionable since you can't Concentrate (required to hold and manipulate the gun) and Aim unless you can manage multiple maneuvers. For a powerful TK, it's easier to throw some rocks or a heavy object.

Quote:
Well, yay for the system then. If it comes out like that, it shows that it is indeed relatively balanced and can handle these cases without having to concoct a "ok, it is a scanning sense for a blind man, but we'll treat it like you can see and put mitigators on your blindness instead. And then take 360 vision and colour blindness on top of your blindness".
Personally I think the path of "Blind, but has a super sense that allows him to ignore the combat penalties and target normally -50%" is a lot easier to understand than trying to add enhancements for Scanning Sense and work around the drawbacks of being Blind with other advantages.

Quote:
yes they do. And there is really no good reason why it shouldn't either.
I've quoted from the rulebook why Radar and it's derivatives wouldn't let you ignore the -6 combat skill penalty if you have Blind. That's big strike against the above statement ignoring all the other drawbacks that being Blind should also give you.

If you have another sense that mitigates many or all of the effects of being Blind, how can you believe it's worth points or even as many points as the full disadvantage? It's been a pretty fundamental principle if that any disadvantage that doesn't come into play (as the game effects describe) isn't a valid disadvantage. If you believe that a form of Radar (or other Scanning Sense) mitigates the game effects of being Blind, you should reduce the value of the disadvantage according to how much less of a disadvantage it is. Radar already has several advantages over normal sight. Giving Blind as "free" disadvantage points doesn't make any sense.
naloth is offline   Reply With Quote