View Single Post
Old 11-16-2012, 06:07 PM   #543
naloth

Default Re: [Supers] GURPS Unofficial Handbook to the Marvel Universe, Reboot Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrock1031 View Post
If that's what I had in mind for Daredevil, I'd agree with you. What I did with DD was give him Blindness, Scanning Sense (might shift it over to Para-Radar instead of Imaging Radar (No Intercept); same basic difference, though), and no other vision-like abilities.
Actually, I was responding to the idea of "packaged senses" where you take a combination of Scanning Sense and Blindness instead of directly to your DD write-up. It legal, but you suffer the drawbacks of being Blind rather than having them mitigated by your Scanning Sense.

Simple tasks that normally don't require rolls - such as facial recognition - will become sense checks. Radar (and presumably all the subtypes of radar) explicitly can't be used to pinpoint targets. The best you can get is a +3 to aimed attacks with Targeting but that doesn't do much to offset the -6 from being Blind. Vibration Sense can be used as an alternative location sense for attacking but there are a fair number of penalties associated with it.

If you're not assessing a lot of sense checks for simple stuff and combat penalties for being Blind you're really only treating it as being unable to read at distances further than arm's length (heavily limited Bad Sight - nearsightedness) and Color Blindness (-10). Together, this is probably worth a net -25 or so if the GM is feeling generous. It's certainly not worth the full -50 points for having full on Blindness.

Quote:
Please, stop arguing over how he should be depicted. You're all right, but until you realize that you're all wrong.
These comments have been rules based - what full Blindness and Scanning Sense (Imaging Radar) together are like - not whether DD should have one type of senses or another. It's not totally clear from your write-up but it seems like you're disregarding the disadvantages of being Blind by taking Imaging Radar. If you take both you get the effects of both: you're Blind but you can make sense rolls to determine features actively. You're at -6 in combat, though you can use Vibration Sense or aiming with Targeting Radar to help offset that penalty.
naloth is offline   Reply With Quote