View Single Post
Old 08-13-2009, 08:55 PM   #41
Icelander

Default Re: Sectors of an Ultra-Tech/Bio-Tech economy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick012000 View Post
I think that if you build it, they will come. If you make it really nice, they'll beat your door down and pay lots of money. If you exploit panic and fashion to make it trendy, you'll make truckloads of money.
Not as much as you'd make selling real estate on nice garden worlds.

Most people don't live in nuclear bunkers here and we've got thousands of bombs. Why would they do so in the future?

Quote:
Combine with the usefulness of FTL technology, and a society that goes for lightly-regulated FTL with safety measures will outcompete one that centrally controls FTL the same way the USA outcompeted the USSR.
The Empire fought a war to ensure that FTL was not only regulated, but restricted.

A society with lightly-regulated FTL would, I believe, survive until the inevitable madman got a hold of one. Then it, and perhaps a lot of others, would be wiped out.

The Empire is not willing to find out how long this would take.

Quote:
I would. Of course, I'm also planning on starting a company to build Orion-drive rockets once I finish university, so my response is perhaps predictable.
So you're cool with absolutely anyone being free to buy a nuke?

As long as there's some sort of access control device on it that limits it to 'safe' uses?

Yeah... how's DRM going? Or locked phones?

Anything can be circumvented, with enough care, and just giving everyone nukes makes it certain that someone who shouldn't have one will eventually get one.