View Single Post
Old 04-13-2014, 09:53 AM   #59
Drifter

Default Re: New Reality Seeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
The existence of the Manhattan project doesn't depend on the details of the German project. Almost nothing was known to the Allies about that project until close to the end of the war, apart from their interest in the Norwegian heavy water project.

The Manhattan project was started on the basis of the potential of the German scientists, and of the potential power of the weapons. In fact, the Germans
failed to organise a coherent project and never made much progress.

Apart from that, excellent stuff!
I was just trying to gloss over the (hard to justify) fact that early 20th century scientists did not take atomic weapons seriously. If the Germans didn't think nukes were viable, Einstein doesn't write his famous letter. Nazis chase after the Grail instead of funding their nuke project. Maybe Szilard-2 is a mana world, no nukes but Nazi occultism works, just not as effectively. You get the US vs USSR setting with a Harry Potter-ish twist.

I didn't realize I had made a diesel punk setting until I got to the rebuilding of Japan.

Thank you for the compliment - goes to show what not having anything to do on a Saturday night will get you :)
Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote