Thread: TL9 Heavy Tank
View Single Post
Old 03-19-2023, 02:54 PM   #123
Rupert

Default Re: TL9 Heavy Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
TL9 AI isn't bad at perception and world-modeling tasks the way real AI has been.
If we assume that a UT-style Non-Volitional AI of IQ10 is sufficient for combat driving (and I'd be very concerned about its lack of initiative), or a Volitional AI of IQ8 (has initiative, but will sometimes use it in dumb ways - like the kind of recruit armies get when they're desperate for warm bodies, but would very much rather not have), we need a C7 computer, which at TL9 is a 400 pound mainframe costing $100,000. Frankly,. I'd prefer the warm body, as a soldier can get out of the tank and perform maintenance, ammo resupply, and all that. An AI driver can't, and presumably with all this AI the only crew member is a commander and they're already managing the gunnery AI (and probably assorted dumb drones/recon robots), they don't need to be baby-sitting an idiot driver as well.

At TL10, when an IQ10 Volitional AI only needs a microframe, it's a different story.

And real-world AI looks to be worse than that - I'm not convinced it's a TL9 technology (and UT doesn't seem to actually give a TL for AI, so more than most stuff in UT it's setting-dependant).

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote