View Single Post
Old 08-21-2013, 01:12 PM   #27
Otaku

Default Re: Addiction and long-term effects

As for the small, follow-up post I almost missed:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Also saying that anyone that could use medication or some other medical assistance is unhealthy makes the term almost useless.
Good thing I didn't say that!

Life is not always a simple "yes/no" or "either/or" proposition.

If a healthy person has a small cut, cleaned and properly bandaged, in a general conversation I would still refer to them as "healthy". On the other hand if that person has a medical condition that requires any sort of management, why would I call that healthy?

We aren't talking "Oh, I ate too much at the state fair, got heartburn, and had to take an antacid." We are talking "I regularly choose to eat foods that give me heartburn, so I take medication to prevent the heartburn even though I have to deal with the side effects of that medication." As well as "I am perfectly fit... so long as I get a supplemental vitamin shot because my body no longer properly absorbs enough [insert vitamin] through dietary means."
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)
Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote