View Single Post
Old 08-20-2013, 01:54 PM   #12
Flyndaran
Untagged

Default Re: Addiction and long-term effects

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otaku View Post
Long term caffeine usage has detrimental effects; I know first hand because I started ingesting significant doses early on (grew up drinking soda, started needing my morning coffee at like age 12) and now I can't have any at all. It aggravates various "conditions", some of which it likely caused. This is true (or at least suspected) for a lot of things (artificial sweeteners, preservatives, etc.). Understanding addiction is complicated; many things have both a physical and psychological component. The longer we live coupled with the earlier (and/or more frequently) we are exposed to various things has revealed that they aren't really that safe.

The thing is this is a Disadvantage begging to be micromanaged, but I agree "as is" doesn't seem right either.
Ahhh. Artificial sweeteners have not been shown to have any adverse effect for moderate use ever. Except of course for saccharine which everyone seems to not care about. Don't listen to the internet chain letters.

My high doses of medically necessary anti-anxiety medication almost certainly is the reason I'm now diabetic. Since it is the only drug that even touches my problems, I would still have started taking it, and will not stop now.

Addictions are really separate from chemical use, abuse, and physical dependency.