View Single Post
Old 08-07-2011, 07:04 PM   #1
ULFGARD

Default "Pure" historical roleplaying?

How many of you do "pure" historical roleplaying? What I mean by this is that you do your best to run a historically accurate game. Never mind whether or not it might be possible for the PCs to actually alter the course of our history -- I mean that it's generally historical insofar as it is "our world" up to the start of the game, that there is no magic/supernatural that cannot absolutely be explained as happenstance/superstition (irrespective of character or even player belief -- my miracle may be your scheduled eclipse).

I'm curious, since I like the idea of running or playing in a straight old west game, though it's hard for me not to allow some magic of that "happenstance/superstition" variety just for funsies. Even so, in this context, I'd hate to run or play in something where this supernatural element dominated the story. Furthermore, within the extent of playable research (I like historical accuracy, but I'm not striving for a PhD thesis on tribal relations to Texans on the frontier in 1853), the idea is for historical accuracy within reason UP TO THAT POINT and continuing in general beyon that time. Not that I'd be looking to hunt down Lincoln and assassinate him, or Lee, or whomever you choose -- that wouldn't make much sense unless my character (or party) had a GOOD reason to do so... But that party actions could change history, either in small ways or even large (i.e., by founding a company that creates the transcontinental railroad first).

This same idea could be applied to any historical epoch. And the idea isn't "simulationist", but rather is to enjoy a historical fiction where the characters are the protagonists set against a grand historical background. Who is doing this, if anyone? And who likes the idea? How has your success/enjoyment been in doing so or playing in such a game?