View Single Post
Old 04-12-2021, 08:57 AM   #9
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: [Basic] Advantage of the Week: Magery

Right now I'm really playing around with standard magery for the first time, as a earth elementalist in a DF game. That version of magery is pretty heavily tweaked, and gives Magery 0 essentially for free.

I once built a high point character with magery for a supers game. We never got to play, but the character was the closest I've ever seen to a "broken" Mage. He had 2000 points to work with, so the FP regeneration and the modular abilities pool may have been at least as broken as the magery. At least when you put all three together. He could cast just about any spell any time.

My biggest experience with magery is with RPM in monster hunters, but magery is really just a permission cost with ER thrown in for RPM. The meaty bits are Ritual adept and the spell system itself. And because of how RPM spells are priced, its ER isn't really a good deal.

Magery from RPM and the standard spell system are very different, to the point of being different traits with the same name.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
I addressed this in my Supernatural Energy article for the last Pyramid kickstarter.
Which talks about that difference. And generalizes it. And is really a good resource for magery in general.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerBW View Post
A concept which I think John introduced me to which is still important in 4e is the "Mage Number": IQ + Magery - 2, or "the skill level I will get by spending one point in a normal spell". Given that anyone with more than trivial core-rules magic will have lots of spells, it's important to keep that number in mind when designing the character.
Yes, this is hugely important. Also, because of the way that cost reduction works, the important numbers here are 15 and 20. Magery 3 + IQ 14 is a remarkably popular build.

IQ 14 is rather high, and I think as time has gone on it has become more acceptable to change the magery limit. DF changes the limit from 3 to 6, and I think a fair number of games follow suit. A mage with a bunch of spells often feels less problematic to a game than a mage who can learn any IQ-based skill on a whim.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!

Last edited by ericthered; 04-12-2021 at 09:03 AM.
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote