View Single Post
Old 06-03-2021, 12:51 PM   #10
TGLS

Default Re: Corco's Villa (IC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
"They also say that the capital no longer cares about the concerns of the provinces. That Arthus does not understand Lithus, and Arthus should let Lithans be Lithans and keep their hands to themselves.

I would not wonder, but it is happening on Maximus. Maximus stopped this for years and years and years. Both sides say the emperor is with them. Yet he has not awoken. I wonder why it is happening now?"
"Perhaps Maximus wants them to have it out instead of just letting the steam build up over and over again. Is the rebellion divided between the worlds or more like division between classes? Is the unrest localized?"

Quote:
Maximus began his rule 900 years ago ... Maximus has been dormant for 81 years.
Well, with what I've read and heard about Maximus, does it make sense that he'd deliberately remain dormant this long? Or do I need more information? Throwing in a Memetics! roll here:

Quote:
[3] 21-06-03 19:49:31 BST
Memetics!
3d6 <= 15 : 1 + 1 + 3 = 5 ... success
Quote:
The worlds are ruled by five governors. The governors are appointed by a hereditary senate: when maximus is active they pretty much appoint whoever maximus says, but its been 55 years since maximus has appointed a governor. It takes a lot to recall a governor. The governors as a council control the central organizations, like the army, though in practice they each control the arms on their world individually.
So who are the most recent five governors, what's their policy on the rebellion, and who appointed them? Research roll here:
Quote:
[4] 21-06-03 19:51:12 BST
Research
3d6 <= 15 : 3 + 1 + 2 = 6 ... success
Quote:
Maximus is served by a hierarchy of priests who tend his temples and tomb, espouse his philosophy, and control a small segment of technology, mostly human bio-tech and the world-portals. They are quite wealthy and have a lot of influence over public opinion. Or at least they did. The breakdown of that trust is a key part of the rebellion.

Maximus in his spirit form can show up anywhere to anyone on any of the five worlds. Entry into his temple, where one is sure to gain his attention, is strictly controlled by the priests, who usually refine and reduce and present polished summaries of events and issues near the "tomb" at the center of his temple.
So the priests can give Maximus a distorted view of events, but on the other hand Maximus can easily just go and find out for himself... Maybe he's distracted or trapped by something? I don't have the occult expertise to determine if that would be plausible.

Quote:
Corco leads Vassarious to the library, where Halcyon is pouring over books.

"You two will work together. Halcyon, this is Vassarious, a dragon. Vasarious, this is Halcyon... who is probably better at explaining what she is than I am. You will get to know one another yes? You both have the deal: you help me for a bit, then I help you"
I hold out a lower tendril to shake hands (I rather not lose my place), then say,
"A dragon? I thought they were taller and scalier. 'All dragons are different', at least that's what I've heard. Know anything about how someone could stop Maximus's spirit from going wherever he pleased?"
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote