Thread: Cidri Genesis
View Single Post
Old 05-29-2019, 02:58 PM   #56
TippetsTX

Default Re: Cidri Genesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
No one knows the circumference of Cidri, and it depends on how high the lookout is, and how much atmospheric haze there is.
While I tend to read the sentence "Cidri is big enough to hold thousands of Earths" as hyperbole, for the sake of argument, let's say that Cidri is roughly the size of Jupiter (which can hold 1300 or so Earths, volume-wise). The surface area, then, would be about 120 times that of Earth with a radius of 43,000 miles.

So if I'm doing the math right (which is doubtful), a sailor in a crow's nest 100 ft above sea level on Cidri should be able to see nearly 40 miles in all directions assuming favorable atmospheric conditions. That's about twice as far as would be possible on Earth. I was expecting a larger number TBH, but does that sound about right to the rest of you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
But if Cidri is many times larger than Earth, the horizon would be many times farther away when looking from the same height.

It would look weird. Also on land, if you climbed any appreciable height and weren't surrounded by higher heights, and allow annoying amounts of long-range observation and mapping.
I'm sure the 'Flat Cidri Society' would have a much larger following than our own terrestrial chapter does.
;)