View Single Post
Old 10-26-2020, 02:21 PM   #30
Skarg

Default Re: Chris Rice's suggestion for to-hit rolls

Hi Zot,

I'm glad to see you taking interest in this variant (which yes, should be in the House Rules sub-forum).

Your first re-mix causes a couple of changes:

1) By making the needed roll greater than or equal to, you're making all to-hit rolls easier by +1.

2) By writing down a fixed MOD stat, you are losing precision, and making people need to have their DX go up by 2 to have any effect. In Chris' & my version, there is a comparison of the opposed figures' DX, and the table is offset in one direction versus the other, so every point of DX still matters. If you write down a rounded up MOD stat for each fighter, then you make DX 11 the same as DX 12, DX 13 the same as DX 14, etc.

The second one (which is also in your later simplification of my system) I see as a serious drawback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zot View Post
What about just subtracting the defender's defense from your DX?

DEF = (DX - 10) / 2 (rounded up)

It doesn't make equal DX opponents have a 50% chance to hit but it does help scaling.
Yes, it has about half the effect of Chris/my version.

The part about equal DX opponents having a 50% chance to hit each other, is one of the main features, though.

And as I mentioned before, also has the rounding problem.

You can get the full effect and precision by doing what you say but NOT dividing by 2, but then you get about double the effect that Chris' system has, which makes DX an even more powerful effect - too much, I would say.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote