View Single Post
Old 10-25-2020, 04:11 PM   #25
zot

Default Re: Chris Rice's suggestion for to-hit rolls

I have a change to Skarg's work that has the same probabilities but eliminates math, so combat should be smoother. But people here may view this as heretical and even more "not-TFT" than Chris' and Skarg's posts. It's still just one DX roll to attack though, so it's very much in line with original TFT in terms of speed and simplicity.

Switch to roll-high.

Using Skarg's numbers, here's how it would work:

Each player puts a DEF (defense) number on their character sheet. This is what attackers have to equal or exceed for a hit.

DEF = 10 + DX MOD

Put a modifier next to each attribute:

MOD = (attribute - 10) / 2, rounding up

Rounding up is a matter of taste but I based it on Skarg's chart where defensive advantage starts at a 1-point difference and goes by 2.

When you roll,

ATTACK ROLL = dice roll + DX MOD

If the attack roll equals or exceeds the target's DEF, you hit.

Modifiers are applied to your result rather than your attribute so +2 DX for attacking from the side adds 2 to your result rather than your DX (or you can think of it as changing your DX MOD, either way).

This can be used for any attribute roll, of course -- you can put a DEF number by each attribute for that.

Opposed rolls require less math than the current Legacy rules and they don't need any subtraction:

OPPOSED ROLLS: compare dice roll + MOD, highest result wins

Criticals are the reverse of the current ones:

Triple damage: 18
Double damage: 17
Automatic hit: 16
Automatic miss: 5
Dropped weapon: 4
Broken weapon: 3

I came up with this the other day and I had forgotten about this thread. I decided to search the forums to see if anyone had tried a roll-high mechanic and found Skarg's work and testing with his similar roll-low approach. That convinced me to use 1/2-point modifiers instead of full-point ones.

Thanks Skarg!

[edit] Also, things like weapon expertise that give your opponents -2 DX can just add to the DEF on your sheet -- less fiddly math during combat.

Last edited by zot; 10-25-2020 at 04:17 PM.
zot is offline   Reply With Quote