View Single Post
Old 06-25-2018, 01:02 PM   #24
Skarg

Default Re: Chris Rice's suggestion for to-hit rolls

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobW View Post
I tried a simple simulation comparing unarmoured 32pt fighters in round robin using the original TFT and this modified rule. The effect of the change, as expected, was to favour DX over ST, but the effects seem fairly small unless you are at extreme values.

https://imgur.com/C3WxP8K

To read the table, rows show how the named fighter's win percentage changes against the fighter in the columns, with the adoption of the proposed rule. For example, the chance a ST15 DX09 fighter defeats a ST09 DX15 drops 25% when we use the "opposed" system compared to regular TFT.

Values on either side of the diagonal should be the same but vary a little due to being simulated separately.
Thanks for running these, Rob!

The results are as I would expect. Mostly the 32-point matchups are the same or slightly adjusted.

The extreme cases (DX 14-15 vs DX 9-10) tend to favor the higher-DX 32-pointer because they reduce the already-low DX or the slower person, reducing the chance of a (usually-fight-winning) hit on a weak unarmored person by a big two-handed weapon. The biggest effect is with ST 9 DX 15 against ST 14 DX 10, which makes sense because DX 10 isn't that bad and one 3d-1 hit usually kills ST 9. Chris' system gives DX 10 a to-hit of 8 versus DX 15 (6 if suffering from a -5 hit, 5 if wounded down to 3 ST), which makes him much more likely to get taken out before he can hit. I rather like that adjustment, because it makes sense to me and in ordinary TFT, the ST 14 DX 10 tends to beat the ST 9 DX 15, and it makes sense to me the DX 15 would use some of his agility (his to-hit drops to 13) to avoid getting killed by the giant weapon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobW View Post
I like the fear that a ST15 DX09 battleaxe user provokes in the usual rules. So I can't see myself changing. But as I say, what surprised me was the relatively small effect of the proposed changes. Assuming I've done the sims right!
It seems to me that ST 15 DX 9 actually does quite well with this to-hit system. His to-hit remains 9 even against enemy adjDX 11 or 12, 8 up to enemy adjDX 13 to 14, and his to-hit increases to 10 against adjDX 9 or 10. Also, if you use the part I've been doing where you can choose to attack aggressively for +1 or +2 all-around, that makes the ST 15 DX 9 rather more scary - then he can get a to-hit of 10 against adjDX 14, at the cost of raising adjDX 14's to-hit from 12 back to 14, which is clearly an advantage... though it can also be countered if adjDX goes defensive.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote