View Single Post
Old 11-04-2009, 12:45 PM   #92
Joseph Paul
Custom User Title

Default Re: Emerging smokepowder weapons in my fantasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
The vast majority of mammals deliver their young far more capable of surviving on their own than humans.

The birthweight is low, I'd think, but the young would grow quickly.

I'm guessing they walk on their own pretty soon. And are able to eat solid foods within a very short time too.

I recall some lore stating that orc litters often fight for food, so only the strong grow to adulthood. On the other hand, any injury that doesn't kill an orc outright will have a much better chance of eventually healing on its own than for a human.
Well that is kinda the point of my questions. That Orcwif is birthing largish puppies not 6-8 pound infants. Those pups are then growing at a phenomenal rate to hit, lets say 150 - 200 lbs, and they do it faster than a human?

What about Orc baby skulls? Are they softer and more unformed because 1) they are smaller than human babies at birth and need to be able to fill out that skull so that their growing brains will fit and 2) so that they can get through the birth canal with out killing Mum. If the skul is softer that may expalin higher infant mortality accruing from the fights for food. I wonder about the dietary requirements of the Orcs. Fast growth normally requires high calorie diets and abundant minerals and vitamins doesn't it?