View Single Post
Old 05-23-2022, 11:40 AM   #7
Varyon

Default Re: [Martial Arts] Hyperskill pets vs moderate-skill warriors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inky View Post
As you say, though, its Slam damage isn't much. It has Move 10, but HP 4, so if it moves its full Move it does (4 x 10)/100 = 0.4d crushing damage, which according to the rules is approximated as 1d-2 crushing damage. Still more than its bite or claw damage, though.
Humorously, unless I'm mistaken, the cat would take Slam damage for the same velocity from the knight, and seeing as the knight has HP 10, that would be a full 1d... meaning the cat has a good chance of knocking itself out trying this (50% chance of taking 4+ HP damage, reducing it to 0 HP or lower and requiring immediate HT rolls against knockdown/stunning and outright unconsciousness, as well as another roll every turn the cat does anything). I find that ridiculous (I'm more inclined to have both targets take the same damage), but I believe it's the RAW.

Quote:
If you borrowed the rule for Collisions (which otherwise work much the same as Slams), that an object with sharp bits does half as much damage but in cutting/piercing/impaling, the cat could pounce with its claws out and do half as much but in cutting damage. But since the penetrating damage multiplier for cutting damage is only 1.5, that would work out as less damage than the crushing version.
Yeah, that part of the collision rules is pretty ridiculous, particularly if the character falling has DR. "I'm OK - this big metal blade broke my fall!"

Quote:
Knockdown and stunning would be the thing. The cat can't target the eyes because it doesn't have the right damage type, but it could target the face (and, with its skill level, reliably hit it), and every time it did even 1 HP of damage the knight would have to make a knockdown roll.
I believe Martial Arts introduced rules to let cutting (and even some instances of crushing, like the eye rake) target the eyes; this risks crippling, but doesn't get the improved Wounding Modifier seen for attacks to the Skull.

Also, I forgot about the SM difference; if I'm not mistaken, the SM-3 cat is at +3 to attack the SM+0 knight, so it has effective skill 30. If it can reach a vulnerable bit, it's very likely to successfully hit.