View Single Post
Old 03-18-2021, 01:01 PM   #4
phiwum

Default Re: Aid Spell, Damage, and Fatigue

I think I was the one who raised the apparent inconsistency and argued for treating wounds the same as fatigue.

Skarg, fatigue is a physical condition just as wounds are, at least in the real world. There must be some physical difference that occurs when you exert energy. I'm not anywhere close to a chemical biologist, so I won't bother to make up a story of how fatigue changes your physical being but I'm confident it does.

Of course, first, this is a fantasy world, so it doesn't have to be a physical difference at all. Second, a wound is plainly visible, an apparent alteration of the flesh, whereas fatigue is something a bit more subtle than that, but both take time to recover.

Aside from a game mechanics argument, I don't see a good reason to treat the two so very differently. We all agree how fatigue works with an Aid spell, so I can't see a thematic reason that wounds should be different. Just as aid gives you the mojo to decrease the effects of fatigue, it must make physical changes that adds to one's muscle. When the spell wears off, the fatigue taken by the aided energy goes away and so do the wounds. Effectively, Aid puts stuff on the top, to be hit by fatigue or damage first, so to speak.
phiwum is offline   Reply With Quote