View Single Post
Old 05-09-2019, 09:42 AM   #2
kdtipa

Default Re: Cyberpunk Netrunning

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBarone714 View Post
Went to cyberpunk character is netrunning, If a node has a password, Should I tell the net runner what type of node (e.g. financial, R&D, accounting) it is before he cracks the password? If he successfully uses Recon Before he cracks the password, should I tell him what type of node it is?
I haven't run Cyberpunk recently, so I don't know what the official answer is, but... In general in real life it could vary depending on what a "node" is. If you're talking about a web API (publicly reachable connection point), you can fairly easily tell what the API is for.

But if you're on a network and a "node" is a computer with an authentication requirement to access it, finding out what it's on the network for might be more difficult. You could poll the network ports to see which ones are available for connection, and make guesses about what the computer is there for based on that. If port 21 is open for example in real life, there's a good chance the computer handles some FTP functionality. There are common ports used for certain things. And those open ports could be security vulnerabilities as each one likely has an authentication method that goes along with its function, though access to the system itself is still limited to using network authentication.

Anyway... Recon likely has a decent chance of giving some useful information. If you're looking for simple to run, I'd just ignore what type of node it is in determining whether recon works, and let them make a skill roll. Better margin of success equals more information.
kdtipa is offline   Reply With Quote