View Single Post
Old 03-07-2021, 03:03 PM   #10
Plane

Default Re: Dropping a rigid wall on someone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
If you get one falling quickly enough to cause significant damage, note it's capped at the average damage it would have dealt without the Wall Enhancement (or if it were rigid) - B431 states an immovable object cannot inflict more damage in a collision than its DR+HP (damage beyond this simply breaks through), and Walls have DR 3 and HP 0.5 per dice of damage (that is, maximum collision damage of 3.5 per dice).
Not sure that "breaks through" is a guarantee here. There's a separate dice roll on both sides of collisions so it's possible you might run into a wall, suffer DR+HP from it, but not inflict enough damage to the wall to destroy the wall.

Maybe knock it down though: presumably a wall has DX 0 so if you inflict 1 yard of knockback it should fall down automatically. That means even for a 6d wall (3HP) a single point of damage should suffice.

If a wall falls down then it's height becomes it's length and it's thickness becomes it's new height, so it would probably be easier to just crawl overtop it, maybe even use it as a bridge across a moat.

Walls being subject to knockback/knockdown would be a natural compliment to "I can drop my walls" rules, since it's mobile.

It might be that the traditional wall is meant to operate like No Legs (Sessile) in which case it probably can't suffer knockback and would be anchored to whichever place it was created: so a rigid wall made in mid-air would just stay floating in the air, not get pulled down by gravity.

Immovable objects are just weird though so I like treating walls as Portable and treat hard-to move ones as having always-on-Clinging (or some kind of obligatory grappling?) if they anchor to other things with mass (more weight to lift, more HP to knockback)

For the "my wall hovers in midair and somehow anchors to the air, even though it has low mass/HP for doing damaging collisions and avoiding destruction" effect, maybe we need some way in using Flight to counter Knockback?

If you can fly forward at 100 yards per second then in a situation where you're knocked back 100 yards, I could see "you don't move at all" as some kind of Power Dodge for nullifying the standard hex relocation which occurs from knockback.

In this case allowing Flight for No Legs (Portable) instead of No Legs (Aerial) the idea would be that flight is ONLY useful for power dodges (subtracting fro knockback)

More broadly speaking I could also see using this for normally non-portable people to negate knockback as well: like you could have Flight (temporary disdavantage: portal) so that it prevents actually moving with the flight (only negating external movement) and for someone you want to move around normally with flight, you could instead take TD:portable limitation on your Enhanced Air Move, so you're capable of using flight to negate more hexes inflicetd upon you than hexes you can actively inflict on yourself.

That actually seems better than weird stuff like "Immune to Knockback" which again seems way too absolute and "immovable object". Instead of a hard cap like that, Air Move is basically a soft cap: just buy enough flight speed to counteract the knockback.

I like that soft cap system for getting immunity to toxic/FP attacks too: just get really high DR or injury tolerance, Mr. Blueberry Muffin
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote