View Single Post
Old 07-03-2022, 12:13 AM   #54
KarlKost

Default Re: Turn of Combat Reformulated - Velocity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
Shadowrun had a simple version where you took your first action at your highest number and then counted down 10 places and acted again. Repeat until you act at below 10.

I think I remember a supers game that worked this way too but the name escapes me at the moment.

The really similar thing I know of is Chivalry & Sorcery from version 3 onward. You calculate your "Action Points" and then start spending APs to perform actions until you run out of APs.
The game Scion also has a system of Ticks, each "turn" has 8 "ticks" and each one of your actions cost a certain amount of ticks - usually 4 or 5. So, each player had a wheel divided in 8 to mark their tick count. After 8 ticks or a "turn", you would start already from the tick count before - so, if you did 1 action of 4 ticks and 1 action of 5 ticks in the previous turn, now you're just 1 tick away from acting again.

There were some severe limits thou; first of all, you play as the Scion of a God, and yes you can become a God yourself (maybe, someday). Who knows, maybe even dethroning Zeus. Anyway, the thing is, the powers on that are absolutely world shaking - just imagine playing like a literal God and exchanging punches with Chronos or Fenrir or Mikakaboshi or helping Ra keep Apophis at bay. Anyway, this means that very, very fast, you get to become so fast as to have all of your actions to cost just a single tick, after which there's no more progression and frankly, everybody from Demi-God to above simply break the system by always acting on every single tick.

That idea thou gave me the idea "what if the Wheel was bigger? Oh, I know, if I can make a Least Common Multiple, I could create a wheel any size I'd like, because now all fractions would matter
KarlKost is offline   Reply With Quote