View Single Post
Old 11-16-2020, 02:28 PM   #19
zoncxs

Default Re: Which optional rules do you use for muscle-powered weapons and armors?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edges View Post
Wow. Multiplying firearm damage by 2.5! That would scare my players.

Why would it scare them? Nothing changes, the ratio of everything remains the same as it is now. The big difference is that players do LESS damage than compared to before.

A pistol that deals 2d+2 (9 average damage) takes 1 or 2 hits to take a ST 10 HP 10 target to less than 0 HP.

ST 10 gives 1d swing damage (3.5 average) and HP 10, so on average it takes 3 hits to reduce to 0 HP.

ST 14 gives 2d swing damage (7 average) and HP 14, so on average it takes 2 hits to reduce to 0 HP.

ST 18 gives 3d swing damage (10.5 average) and HP 18, so on average it takes 2 hits to reduce to 0 HP.

ST 22 gives 4d swing damage (14 average) and HP 22, so on average it takes 2 hits to reduce to 0 HP.

My rules makes it:

A pistol that deals 6d+1 (22 average damage) takes 1 or 2 hits to take a ST 10 HP 25 target to less than 0 HP.

ST 10 gives 2d+2 swing damage (9 average) and HP 25, so on average it takes 3 hits to reduce to 0 HP.

ST 14 gives 3d+2 swing damage (12.5 average) and HP 35, so on average it takes 3 hits to reduce to 0 HP.

ST 18 gives 4d+2 swing damage (16 average) and HP 45, so on average it takes 3 hits to reduce to 0 HP.

ST 22 gives 5d+2 swing damage (19.5 average) and HP 55, so on average it takes 3 hits to reduce to 0 HP.

The amount of hits needed is the same, we just have a finer detail in it. But more importantly, players will not be able to deal the same amount of damage as decent guns with a bow. With my system in a non powers game, ST is limited to 18 at most. Every point of ST means something now too, you get an increase in damage at every level so it is worth it, your HP goes up by 2 or 3 making it harder to take you down, etc.

But, really, firearm damage SHOULD scare people, after all, the point of guns is to kill, and if you can shrug off the damage, or even deal more damage with a melee weapon, then something is off. My fix was not aimed at that but at making damage be in ratio with Basic Lift and all of a sudden, EVERYTHING else gets fixed.
zoncxs is online now   Reply With Quote