View Single Post
Old 04-25-2019, 12:11 PM   #11
Andreas

Default Re: Ideas for Higher-Resolution Combat - Feedback Requested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
I've considered that before (although the linked system's a bit finicky). One of the purposes of Opportunistic Attacks is to encourage players to change up their attacks (punching/kicking someone during a swordfight, using a shield bash, etc), which would be difficult just from a focusing of defenses. Note my Opportunistic Attack suggestion could be used in combination with any sort of focusing of defenses, either to offset the bonus ("I found an opening to strike the Lich's phylactery with my dagger!") or to make further use of the penalty ("His weapon arm is open to attack, and I'm in just the right position to break his wrist with a kick!").
The encuragement for the players to change their attacks would come from their enemies occasionally focusing on certain defenses. They would notice that their opponent is only preparing to defend against the players main weapon or that they are forgetting to defend their feet etc.

Since the opportunity comes from the opponent rather the player's decision, you have opponents that act in a way that tend to make sense for them, rather than in a way that "happens" to be benefitial to the players (opponents forgetting to defend their vitals more often than their less important hit locations etc.).
Andreas is offline   Reply With Quote