View Single Post
Old 09-02-2019, 09:02 PM   #20
adm

Default Re: GURPS Prime Directive

Quote:
Originally Posted by adm View Post
You do make some fair points, to the above quoted text. As I understand it, the Powered By GURPS line is the basic GURPS engine tweaked to a specific setting, not necessarily intended to remain generic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximara View Post
True but "PBG books may contain specific rules that are not backwards-compatible with the rest of GURPS . . . but, of course, these are clearly marked." So if their TL scale goes off into its own little world ala GURPS Lensmen then they have to clearly mark that and as GURPS Lensmen did note what regular TLs (4e TLs not 3e in this case) their funky TL system equates to. Though there is the much easier tack of simply avoiding the extra work and just use the GURPS 4e TL system.
Given that they already had a TL based on 3E, rebuilding it to 4E would have been the extra work. Within ADB's Universe, it works just fine. At this point we should likely agree to disagree, we clearly have different views, neither are necessarily wrong, although I will acknowledge that your view is better for 4E compatibility, but then so many tech assumptions in Trek are all over the place that it doesn't really play well with others.

Note: GURPS: Lensmen was a 3E work, its TL system refers to 3E TLs not 4E TLs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adm View Post
This IS a very good point TL16 essentially goes off the scale, while that likely works for the Orgainians, it does leave a narrow window for groups above the Federation, but below, effectively, a god.
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximara View Post
The Organians are not a good example of 3e's TL16 as their abilities are natural not a product of high TL. iMHO the only solid example of actual TL16 is by Flint is "Requiem for Methuselah" and the Transmuter from "Catspaw"; in 4e both would simply be TL^.

Per the TL3 scale with the exception of the transporter Star Trek would sit very comfortably at TL(6+2) to TL(7+3).
Honestly, we have no idea how the Organians work, they may have built up with a tech base, or be totally biological. Given the abilities shown on screen, they could easily have clouded everyone's minds into believing they were on a primitive agrarian world, rebuilt it as such for visitors, once they stopped using bodies, or something else entirely, hence why I said "Likely works".

Unless I am mistaken, Flint and the Transmutter are very likely outside of ADB's license. In 35 years of interacting in the SFU universe, and having all of the RPG supplements, they have never been referred too.