View Single Post
Old 06-22-2012, 12:10 PM   #7
Steven Marsh

Default Re: Pyramid #3/44: Alternate GURPS II

Quote:
Originally Posted by vierasmarius View Post
Do I have this right?
I'll leave it to Douglas to offer more insight as he deems fit, but as far as recovering FP, it sounds like you've got it right. (As an aside, I'll take this moment to thank Douglas for effort he put in to make the first half of the article clearer to me... it didn't change the underlying system, but the presentation felt a lot more accessible once the dust settled.)

Anyway, the way I kept it straight in my mind as I was editing it -- and how I'd likely run it, if I used this system in a game -- is to envision the "pool" to be three different-colored counters/chips/M&Ms/whatever:
  • Green -- Light
  • Yellow -- Severe
  • Red -- Deep

Thus someone with 10 FP would have:
  • Green
  • Green
  • Green
  • Green
  • Green
  • Yellow
  • Yellow
  • Yellow
  • Yellow
  • Yellow
  • Red
  • Red
  • Red
  • Red
  • Red
  • Red
  • Red
  • Red
  • Red
  • Red

When you spend FP, first you burn the greens, then the yellows, and then the reds. When you recover, first you recover the greens, then the yellows, and finally the reds. This makes it entirely possible to have all your greens and all your reds, and none of your yellows. (I'd probably make custom counters for each player so that -- in addition to being color-coded -- the counters also listed how long each one took to earn back.)

I'm not sure if this is any clearer to you, but it worked for me when I was mulling it over. :-)

Last edited by Steven Marsh; 06-22-2012 at 12:36 PM. Reason: Altered list of "counters"
Steven Marsh is offline   Reply With Quote