View Single Post
Old 01-29-2023, 02:21 PM   #10
Varyon

Default Re: [Martial Arts] Using Judo as flier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigrif View Post
When using "Using Your Legs" rules, can you use both hands and legs to grapple and throw someone using flight? What bonuses should i use?
Martial Arts: Technical Grappling suggests +0 to skill and x1.5 to ST if using two arms and two legs for a grapple. That ST bonus won't do a lot for you on a throw if not using Technical Grappling rules, however (unless you're close to the ground and opt for a damaging Judo Throw).

Quote:
Can you grab your enemy and lift them into the air and if you can, how? How your enemy realistically can resist your movement at all?
If you've got a hold of them, I'd just treat them as encumbrance while flying... although I'd be inclined to increase their effective weight depending on how well they do on any subsequent Break Free attempt, or if they manage to grapple you (a struggling target is harder to carry around). Offhand, I'd say for a failed Break Free (a successful one means the target falls, unless the grapple is mutual), the grappled target is treated as 50% heavier unless the flyer had MoV 4+. For mutual grappling (the flyer and target are each grappling the other), treat the grappled target as 50% heavier regardless of any attempt to Break Free. If the "target" is actually grappling the flyer and the flyer isn't grappling back (say because the target had a mutual grapple and managed to break free of the flyer's grapple, or maybe the "target" actually jumped on and grappled the flyer on their own), they count as 100% heavier (twice normal weight).

A target that doesn't have access to the ground isn't going to able to grapple as effectively as one who does, however - I'd just go with a -2 or so to skill (characters who can fly under their own power ignore this - or at least do so once they've practiced enough to get Familiarity).

Quote:
Can you pin midair?
Probably not, unless you're holding the target against a wall or the ceiling - pinning largely relies on basically being able to recruit the ground to hold them against. It also relies on gravity, but if you can fly you can mimic the effects of such by just flying toward the surface you're pinning them against.

Quote:
"Using your legs" rules say that you end your turn lying face-up, but what if you using this in the air?
That's because you normally are reliant on your legs to stand, but a flyer doesn't have to stand, so you can disregard this.

Quote:
How parries with leg or feet works for flying characters? Can you parry more than ones with your legs? Can you parry attacks that comes from below in any zone? Can you retreat?
You should be able to Parry any attack that comes from below you with your legs, yeah - and with no reliance on legs for movement, Retreating is not an issue.

As a final note, Pyramid #3/14 has some MA styles and rules for aerial combat. An important point of note is that, against an enemy flyer, Techniques that normally knock a foe down (Judo Throw, Sweep, and Trip) instead cause the foe to lose control when used in the air.