View Single Post
Old 05-17-2017, 09:34 AM   #1
Phantasm

Default Witchcraft from The Vampire Diaries

I've been watching The Vampire Diaries (alongside Burn Notice, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Angel, Supernatural, Charmed, and a few others) and was wondering about running a wainscot urban fantasy setting mixing all of them. (I have no problems mixing the bumpy-forehead "game face" vampires from the Buffyverse with the "black eyes" vampires of the Diariesverse by making them different "breeds" of vamps. I haven't yet started on The Originals to see if there's any difference there.)

The real trick, though, is figuring out the best way to do Bonnie's witchcraft. (One thing I noticed: all witches/warlocks in the show are of African descent. Was this intentional for the series? Of course, I can mix and match due to mixing in ideas from Charmed.) It's clearly hereditary, as the talent is passed through generations (from Emily in the ACW to Bonnie's grandmother to Bonnie, the one older warlock and his two kids, etc.)

I was thinking RPM, which seems to work just as well for Charmed, though maybe not for the Buffyverse (which seems to use Path/Book, which can easily be explained as the Buffyverse casters aren't generally learning the theory and instead using rituals recorded in their spellbooks).

Anyone with knowledge of later seasons want to chime in?

(Interesting side note: I noticed at the end of season 2 of the Diaries that Jeremy's mother's maiden name was "Sommers". Cue slow-motion speed running for true wainscotting....)

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote