View Single Post
Old 05-27-2021, 11:29 AM   #80
Icelander

Default Re: Optics from 1987-1995

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert View Post
I recall the Bushnells and Tascos of the time being of quite reasonable build quality and as lower-end priced scopes I expect they were fairly common.
You are quite right, but I have not yet done enough research to be sure of which models where offered when, how much they weigh, how long and bulky they are, their eye relief, optical qualities, light gathering, etc.

For example, before Bushnell sold Bushnell 3200 scopes, there was a Bausch & Lomb Elite 3200. If I recall correctly, Bushnell acquired Bausch & Lomb at some point and continued to sell scopes under the name for a while.

Quote:
For general purpose use 4x40mm and 6x40mm were popular at the time, or 4x32mm if you needed a small scope.
These and smaller magnifications might be what I need for T/C Contender barrels, especially if I want to be able to use the same scope to shoot with and without buttstock.

Quote:
Given GURPS' rules for scopes, you'd replace those with x2-x5 (or x6) or x3-x9, those being the common power ranges back then. There was still a bit of debate about fixed vs variable power scopes, because the variable power models were in theory a little more delicate and had more ways for moisture to get in. By the end of the nineties that debate was done.
In real life, adjusting the controls of a 2010s tactical scope and a 1980s Tasco will not be equal. Part of Aiming for three seconds by a trained tactical shooting using the best modern scopes might be zooming in from a lower magnification, but most of the time, changing magnification will take well over a second. Especially with fairly inexpensive 1980s scopes.

Quote:
Illuminated reticles were largely considered a gimmick, from what I recall. Something else to go wrong, something else making holes in the scope (and thus points for moisture to enter), and something else for the batteries to fail on unexpectedly. This was from the civilian hunter perspective, but for a weapon that may sit in storage for some time in a warm humid environment I'd avoid optics that used batteries, especially in a pre-2000 setting when batteries just weren't that good.
Especially with T/C Contender barrels or a takedown rifle where the sights are attached to the barrel, it is likely that at least one barrel will have some optics intended to be useful at dusk or even night.

These are mostly electronics based, but might certainly be out of batteries or even malfunctioning decades later.