View Single Post
Old 04-17-2020, 02:42 PM   #62
kirbwarrior

Default Re: Fixing round length in GURPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polydamas View Post
Don't you ever have situations where someone is doing a long action (typically moving behind cover) and most of the other actors duck down behind solid cover for a few minutes?
If they have the ability to hide somewhere for minutes, then we're no longer in combat time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polydamas View Post
I am saying that in the Basic Set Do Nothing does not accomplish anything, but it does not make the situation worse either. In real fights, a common reason people don't do anything effective is that they don't see an effective action, or that action is more dangerous than they like (stepping into Reach of someone with something sharp and pointy, moving out of cover) or it is blocked on someone else doing something.
Yes, and from what I've seen (both personally and not) is that the person goes on the defensive. Whether or not AoD actually makes a difference is based on their numbers, but people who don't know how to fight 'do nothing' by putting (what they perceive as) survival first. Considering what you can do during AoD (Dodge) lines up perfect with what the average person is doing;

1) Running away (either half move from AoD or Move maneuver)
2) Staying put or stepping

The main situation AoD doesn't quite work is Change Posture, but Dodge and Drop might already be getting them there, too. Although I could see improper Waits never triggering which after-the-fact look like Do Nothing.

Mind, you also have to take into account of the common Combat Paralysis and Surprise. Both can very well emulate why a normal person is actually doing nothing useful.
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote