View Single Post
Old 04-16-2020, 03:26 PM   #57
Polydamas

Default Re: Fixing round length in GURPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbwarrior View Post
I'm not saying you don't get no defenses with Do Nothing (and I don't think I ever implied that). I'm saying that it's a terrible choice to make compared to any other maneuver, and strictly worse than many of them. As written there is zero reason to pick it at all, especially when Move, AoD (Dodge), and Evaluate are right there. The punishment is 'You didn't decide fast enough so you pick the worst maneuver', regardless of what the maneuver is called.
Do Nothing does not put you out of cover where Suppressive Fire or a Wait gets you killed. It does not bring you closer to dangerous opponents or away from allies who you are covering and being covered by. It does not interfere with your Active Defenses.

Its just fiddly to represent all the different reasons why so many people spend so much of a fight doing nothing, and to give game-mechanical benefits for spending a second observing the situation (like The Last Gap to represent that Do Nothing is less tiring than Move, or house rules about how much information the GM gives the players to represent how people in a fight spend time trying to figure out what is happening and choose a next move).

This forum got less aggravating when I started using the ignore feature
Polydamas is offline   Reply With Quote