View Single Post
Old 08-20-2018, 09:23 AM   #7
Rick_Smith

Default Re: Shifting Rule and Pivoting

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeard1999 View Post
... SHIFTING
Currently, an engaged figure may shift one hex, but he cannot break engagement. To allow combats to be more fluid (and to make winning initiative a little more valuable), my group always allowed an engaged figure shift one hex, even if it broke engagement. However, the figure had to remain engaged with at least one opponent. ...
Hi Ty,
I quite like both of your suggested rule changes. Comments below.

Saying that you can shift away from other people makes maneuver more possible than in the old TFT. Generally, more moving on the map is better I think. If people are fighting in tight line, you rule will have little effect, but if your lines are a bit ragged, this will make confused melees much more likely.

I can easily see why your players (after they got used to it), were unwilling to go back to the more restrictive format.

I think I will try this out as a test in my campaign.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeard1999 View Post
PIVOTING
Currently, a figure that moves second can move into the side or rear hex of an enemy figure and the enemy figure cannot turn to face him. In many (most?) - cases, that's an absurd occurrence enabled by the TFT sequential movement system. Sorta like "panzerbushing". ...
In my campaign, I call this a 'last second twist'. People can change their facing after movement, but they are at a -2 DX penalty for the rest of the turn for jerking around at the last minute. When it matters, those who moved first must do the last second twist first.

We have played this way for years, and it has not caused problems.

Warm regards, Rick.
Rick_Smith is offline   Reply With Quote